Kate Gavino is a writer and illustrator. She is the creator of the website, Last Night's Reading, which was compiled into a published collection by Penguin Books in 2015. Her work has been featured in BuzzFeed, Lenny Letter, Oprah.com, Rookie, and more. She was recently named one of Brooklyn Magazine's 30 Under 30. Her second book, Sanpaku, was published by BOOM! Studios in 2018.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I have a small home with lots of books, my best friend, and a chow chow. Robyn's demands to the pope in "U Should Know Better" are met. Martha Stewart follows me on Instagram. I have an 1800 NASPA rating.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Being in a constant state of crippling anxiety.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Overthinking everything to the point of mental exhaustion.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Cruelty and the inability to empathize. Logan Huntzberger apologists.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
People who accomplish things without napping.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Dresses and massages.
7. What is your current state of mind?
Anxiously awaiting good news. Very full from Korean BBQ. Wondering why Alan Rickman is so oblivious in Love Actually.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. On what occasion do you lie?
At the doctor's office. In an Uber pool.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Whatever I see in the Union Square Forever 21 fitting room mirror.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Mr. Plod Daunt
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Kindness, empathy, and good listening skills.
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Kindness, empathy, and an understanding that "Team Jess" doesn't necessarily mean he's the best person for Rory, but rather, he had the best emotional arc on the show.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
"😂" and "😭"
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
The person who registered this domain, and Colleen.
16. When and where were you happiest?
With Dustin and Colleen in the apartment on Ryerson. Or, September 16, 2016.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
Invisibility, financial responsibility, and effortless conversational skills.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd like the ability to be invisible. And to be more confident.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
TBD. But before that, winning first place (in my division) at my first Scrabble tournament.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A chow chow or Colette.
21. Where would you most like to live?
The mansion on Guernsey Street.
22. What is your most treasured possession?
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
The inability to empathize.
24. What is your favorite occupation?
An artist and a dog owner.
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
I genuinely like listening to people's problems. My uncanny Ben Gibbard impression.
26. What do you most value in your friends?
Genuine kindness and a bottomless appreciation for dumb shit.
27. Who are your favorite writers?
Zadie Smith, Toni Morrison, Anita Brookner, and Victor Hugo.
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
He's not necessarily a hero, but I relate deeply to the emotional garbage fire that is Marius Pontmercy. Also, Lauryn Hill in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. Oh, and Claudia Kishi.
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
Zadie, Toni, Colette, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Maxine Hong Kingston, Jens Lekman, Alfred Mosher Butts, Selena Quintanilla, Anita Brookner, Theresa Hak Kyung Cha, Nicki Minaj's "Monster" verse.
31. What are your favorite names?
Clementine and Colleen.
32. What is it that you most dislike?
Racism and sexism.
33. What is your greatest regret?
Idealizing Rivers Cuomo.
34. How would you like to die?
Gently suffocated by a pack of chow chows after watching the second half of Chungking Express.
35. What is your motto?
"First things first, I'll eat your brains..."